Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in Lower West, South West, South Coastal and parts of Great Southern and Central Wheat Belt districts.

Issued at 11:02 am Friday, 16 August 2019.

Damaging winds are possible across Southwest WA with the passage of a cold front and cold airmass.

Weather Situation:
An approaching cold front will sweep across the South West Land Division during the afternoon and evening.

Thunderstorms and showers associated with the front may produce DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts to around 100 km/h southwest of a line Bunbury to Walpole from midday, which could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY.

The potential for DAMAGING WINDS will extend to Perth and Albany from about 5pm. Squally showers and thunderstorms will occur behind the cold front with DAMAGING WINDS expected to extend throughout the warning area.

Heavy rainfall may occur southwest of a line Perth to Walpole. Small hail is likely from late this afternoon and snow is possible on the Stirling Ranges Saturday morning.

Locations which may be affected include Albany, Bunbury, Busselton, Katanning, Mandurah, Manjimup, Margaret River, Mount Barker, Narrogin, Northam, Perth and Yanchep.

This is typical weather for this time of year but winds may cause damage to property and make road conditions hazardous.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.