Source: Bureau of Meteorology

For people in parts of Pilbara district.

Issued at 1:55 pm Wednesday, 6 June 2018.
Heavy rainfall will continue to fall over parts of the Pilbara today and on Thursday. (Note: This warning has been updated to fix an error in the text below)

Weather Situation:
A rain band lies across the northwest of WA and will be slow moving over the next day or two.

HEAVY RAINFALL that may lead to FLASH FLOODING is possible over parts of the Pilbara between Karratha and Port Hedland and inland to Newman during Wednesday and Thursday.
A Minor Flood Warning is current for the Gascoyne River, and a Flood Watch is current for the London-Minilya, Ashburton River, Onslow Coast and Pilbara Catchments. For further details please refer to
Locations which may be affected include Karratha, Newman, Port Hedland, Marble Bar, Nullagine and Whim Creek.

The Severe Weather Warning for locations further west in the Pilbara, including Onslow and Paraburdoo, has been cancelled.
Rainfall totals in the 24 hours till 9am Wednesday morning include:
Cobra Airstrip (Gascoyne River Catchment) - 131mm
Mount Augustus - 99mm
Onslow Airport - 87mm
Karratha Airport - 62mm
This weather is unusual for this part of WA for this time of year. Heavy rain may cause damage to property and make road conditions hazardous.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.